Washington City Man Dies in Kane County ATV Accident
A Washington City man has died after crashing his ATV north of Kanab.
At just after 2pm Friday (8/25/23), Kane County Sheriff's deputies, a BLM ranger and Kanab Fire Department emergency medical technicians responded to a call of distress. A medical helicopter also responded to an area within Trail #4 of the Hog Canyon Trail System.
56-year-old David Matthews was riding was riding ATVs with his father when he crashed his vehicle.
A preliminary investigation suggests that the crash occurred "due to the nature of the trail." The Kane County Sheriff's Office went on the say, "Trail #4 has long been recognized as one of the more challenging routes in our county, demanding skill and caution from riders," also stating that the trail has been the site of previous emergency responses and fatalities.
The office also offered several safety guidelines:
1. Familiarize yourself with the difficulty level and potential hazards of the trail before embarking on your ride.
2. Wear appropriate safety gear, including helmets, goggles, and protective clothing.
3. Always ride within your skill level and exercise caution at all times.
4. Avoid riding along whenever possible and inform someone of your intended route and estimated return time.
5. Maintain your ATV in optimal condition and perform regular safety checks before each ride.