Firefighter Released From Hospital

(Beaver, UT) -- A firefighter who was hurt helping with a wildfire in Beaver County is out of the hospital. The Bureau of Land Management says Bonneville Hotshot Daniel Burns was released on Saturday after he was hit by a tree that pinned him to the ground while fighting the Little Twist Fire. He was able to leave the medical facility four days after getting hurt. Officials noted Burns still has a ways to go in his recovery, which will now continue at his duty location. A GoFundMe page has been set up to help Burns and his family with the expenses.

Southwest Utah Prepares For Independence Day

(Hurricane, UT) -- Southwest Utah is preparing to celebrate America's birthday. Cities in the region are making sure residents know what's going on and what's allowed for Thursday's celebration, including what fireworks can be used and where to catch a fireworks show. Hurricane will be posting an Independence Day parade Thursday morning and then put on a fireworks show at Sand Hollow State Park. Those hoping to shoot off their own fireworks can only do so at the Spilsbury Sports Complex, American Legion Sports Complex, Three Falls Park and Dixie Springs Park.

Central Fire Destroys Washington County Home

(Central, UT) -- A Washington County family is displaced as their home was destroyed by the newly named Central Fire. Officials say an evacuation order was in place for a time for several communities after the fire started at about 3:45 p.m. on Sunday. Firefighters say the blaze began in a field and spread quickly because of the dry and windy conditions. One firefighter was treated for a wrist injury.

Elderly Hiker Dies In Big Cottonwood Canyon

(Salt Lake City, UT) -- An 80-year-old hiker is dead after an accident in an area of Big Cottonwood Canyon early yesterday. KSL reports that Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office deputies found the hiker deceased after being reported overdue. Deputies say the hiker fell at Sundial Peak just south of Lake Blanche. The body was expected to be taken from the mountain by helicopter and sent to the medical examiner's office to determine the cause of death.


More From KSUB 590/107.7